Sidekicks

December 22nd, 2014

This is what we see from our kitchen window every morning:
Turkeys (1)
These two turkeys of ours have become my sidekicks. They wait for me to come outside every day and follow me around while I work.  They sing their sweet little songs and are highly entertaining! Turkeys are definitely birds that we love having around.
Turkeys (2)
We’re fairly sure that we ended up with two hens, so I’ll be looking for a tom with hopes of having a breeding trio next year.  Or maybe one of them will go broody and I can put some fertile eggs under her. I’d love to end up with a small flock of Wishard Bronze turkeys that can raise their own young each year. This is one of the best parts of having a little bit of land, experimenting with new birds has been a lot of fun!

If had space for lots of animals what would you have on your farm?

6 Comments to “Sidekicks”
  1. Ilene on December 22, 2014 at 7:05 am

That is soooo cute!

I enjoyed our chickens while we had them, for the same reasons. I could not dig a hole without them being crowded around me, watching for bugs and worms. Now and then they’d get into the yard and I’d always find them settled in on the corner of the patio. They’d look at me so innocently. But oh, what a mess they made! The problem was, for me, that once they’d developed their own personalities and I’d given them names, I could not bear to kill them when the time came. Ended up giving them away. Yeah, I’m an old softie.
    Ilene´s last post ..What Gardeners Do In The Winter

Reply to Ilene's comment

2. Jaye Whitney on December 22, 2014 at 8:12 am

I too had two turkey hens, they were the BEST companions and pets.

They were an impulse buy at the feed store one day when I was there shopping with my son, and I was like, what in the world am I going to do with two turkeys???

They soon became my favorites and are the most loving and protective (and characters!) of all of the pet family I have ever owned.

They’re gone now, but I miss them every day.

They both laid daily, are you getting eggs from them?

Reply to Jaye Whitney's comment

3. Natalie on December 22, 2014 at 9:20 am

I’ve never had any birds as pets or livestock, but it seems like they would be cool to have around. Several neighbors have chickens. One also raises turkeys. DH and I often talk about having chickens, but it will be a little while yet.
    Natalie´s last post ..The Deep Longings Of A Stay At Home Mama

Reply to Natalie's comment

4. DebbieB on December 22, 2014 at 11:01 am

If I had some land (besides my postage-stamp backyard in my no-livestock-or-fowl neighborhood), I’d have chickens, ducks, and goats, with a donkey for protection.
    DebbieB´s last post ..Handwoven Scarf Handspun silk Mermaid blue silk scarf by DebbieBHandspun

Reply to DebbieB's comment

5. Myra S. on December 22, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Chickens, pigs, rabbits would be nice to have again!

Reply to Myra S.'s comment

6. mandie on January 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

The first picture of them looking in the window made me chuckle…..woke the dog!!

Reply to mandie's comment