Tiny Cherry Trees

February 1st, 2016

Those cherry pits I stratified in the fridge are growing nicely under the grow lights. Most of them germinated, of those about 50% have turned into little trees. There have been a few that have struggled and then wilted under the grow lights. Right now there are 15 or so little trees that seem to be doing well.
tiny cherry trees
No doubt there will be a few more that will perish throughout the coming months and perhaps years, but it looks like I’ll at least have a few nice little trees for the garden. I’ll definitely be doing this again. Next winter I’m going to try stratifying various stone fruits in a row of the main garden. I’d like to see if/how that will work.

What is your favorite stone fruit tree?

8 Comments to “Tiny Cherry Trees”
  1. Sarah on February 1, 2016 at 6:46 am

I’d have to say that peaches are my favorite stone fruit. You can almost taste the summer sun biting into them. The choice doesn’t come without some hesitation, though. I used to work at a local fruit farm and anything we could pick was free! I sure got my fill of sour cherries as well.

Reply to Sarah's comment

2. Misti on February 1, 2016 at 9:01 am

Peaches are by far my favorite stone fruit. :) Cherries…meh! I’ve just never found cherries enticing.
    Misti´s last post ..Friday Five | 3

Reply to Misti's comment

3. Joan on February 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

I love peaches, though cherries would be a close second!

Reply to Joan's comment

4. Nebraska Dave on February 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

Susy, I guess it’s unanimous, I’m a peach guy as well. My grandmother had the best orchard with all sorts of fruit but the peaches were the best. If I was to plant a fruit tree, it would be a peach tree. I right on the border for peach and other stone fruit trees but when they do get past the last frost and produce fruit, the trees are loaded. I think on average one in three years is a good fruit year for peach, apricot, and such trees. I’m kind of in the area where berries do much better.

Have a great cherry from seed tree growing day.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

5. Charlie@Seattle Trekker on February 1, 2016 at 11:09 am

I’m really anxious to see your fruit orchard get started, this is such amazing fun. I am really encouraged to try this myself.
    Charlie@Seattle Trekker´s last post ..Magnolia × Brooklynensis ‘Yellow Bird’: Rare 3 Inch Yellow Flowers Bloom In April

Reply to Charlie@Seattle Trekker's comment

6. Chris on February 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Hands down…Peach! :) Fun to grow anything from seed indoors during the winter months, isn’t it?

Reply to Chris's comment

7. Kristen on February 1, 2016 at 1:51 pm

I think I would have to pick sour cherries (pie cherries) as my favorite. My husband loves cherry pie and I love the cherry jam I make from them. We have two pie cherry trees that produce very well. The rest of our “orchard” was just planted last year so we shall see what comes of them. I confess to also loving nectarines, peaches and sweet cherries. Apricots are not my favorite to eat out of hand but I do love apricot jam.

Reply to Kristen's comment

8. Kate Patel on February 12, 2016 at 6:29 am

Hello Charlie, I do apologise : I see you were kind enough to leave a message on my post Touches of Frost which I have just discovered (and then clumsily) lost in the WP spam filter.

Regards, Kate

PS Bing cherries are my favourite!

Reply to Kate Patel's comment