Friday Favorite: Houseplant Gifts

April 22nd, 2016

I’ve always wanted a Christmas Cactus, but I’ve never gotten around to getting one. There’s not a lot of extra room for houseplants around here, so I don’t typically go out of my way to get more. On Easter, my neighbor gave me a ‘Spring Cactus’, which is just like the Christmas one, but it flowers in the spring. I’ve also seen them called ‘Easter Cactus’ since they flower around Easter.
spring cactus 2
spring cactus 1
After a week or two on the coffee table it burst forth in bloom and what a stunner it it!

Do you get gifts of houseplants? Do you have a Christmas cactus?

7 Comments to “Friday Favorite: Houseplant Gifts”
  1. Tonya on April 22, 2016 at 9:20 am

Sadly, I am on the Most Wanted list for Christmas Cactus murderers. I have tried many times throughout the years and none of them have survived. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because I diligently follow the instructions from friends who have thriving specimens. Luckily, I have good results with most other plants, indoors and out. But I love the looks of a well-grown Christmas Cactus – so green, flowering and happy in the middle of winter.

Reply to Tonya's comment

2. Robin on April 22, 2016 at 9:28 am

I have Christmas cactus and would be happy to send you pieces to root!
    Robin´s last post ..Week of Wildlife – Five on Friday

Reply to Robin's comment

3. Virginia on April 22, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I have a Christmas cactus. It never really bloomed in my previous home, but now I have a laundry room on the back of my house which has wall to wall windows. The room gets lots and lots of sunlight in the morning, and the cactus loves it. It has bloomed constantly for over a year and is still blooming now. I need to put it in a larger pot, but I am so scared I will jinx it out of blooming if I do.

Reply to Virginia's comment

4. Jennifer Fisk on April 23, 2016 at 8:52 am

I have a Christmas Cactus that was given to me in Jan 1977. I’ve transplanted it a couple of times. Every so often I water it and feed it. It blooms in Nov/Dec and April/May. I have it in a sunny room but not in the direct sun. It just keeps happily growing and blooming .

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

5. Nebraska Dave on April 24, 2016 at 7:34 am

Susy, well, I’m not a real fan of cactus. I did see the desert bloom once when visiting my daughter in Las Vegas. It’s a beautiful sight and blooming cacti/cactuses (which ever you use) are magnificent. I just don’t have any place in my house that is favorable to inside plants. I expect a cactus would need lots of direct sunlight. None of my house windows have direct sunlight due to neighborhood trees.

Have a great cactus blooming day.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

6. Joan on April 25, 2016 at 8:58 am

Susy, I would love to give you a start from my Christmas Cactus. It is a plant that has great meaning to me, as I got it from one that my grandmother had for many many years. Let me know if you’d like one and I’ll get one rooted for you!

Reply to Joan's comment

7. Morgan on May 13, 2016 at 11:17 am

This plant is so cute! It makes sense that some people call it an Easter Cactus; it does look very festive! It would definitely make the perfect gift, especially during the spring. Awesome post! Thank so much for sharing!
    Morgan´s last post ..San Pedro Cactus Are Great