And They’re Off…

January 9th, 2017

The spicy microgreens I seeded under the grow light are growing. Obviously the flat I put on the heating mat germinated quicker, but the second try caught up quickly and they’re pretty much the same now. Which shows that with these the heat mat isn’t worth using.
spicy-microgreens-under-the-grow-light
These are supposed to be ready to harvest in 10 days to 2 weeks, as soon as the first set of true leaves appears. I’m anxiously watching and waiting to see how long it takes and what they taste like. While I’d never grow enough greens for an entire salad like this, they will be nice to add a bit of green to certain dishes, like fajitas, soups, or omelets. I’m thinking of seeding a tray of cilantro microgreens for enjoying on fajitas in a few weeks.

What’s growing in your house this winter?

6 Comments to “And They’re Off…”
  1. Joan on January 9, 2017 at 11:08 am

Parsley, that I brought in from outside. I’m eager to plant some herbs and lettuces to brighten up my winter meals, but will wait a month until the days are a little longer, since I don’t use supplemental light.

Reply to Joan's comment

2. Nebraska Dave on January 10, 2017 at 9:11 am

Susy, sadly, there will be no inside growing this year until the garden seedlings are started. Other things have taken the spare time away from this Winter”s down time.

Happy eating of micro greens.

Nebraska Dave

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

3. Kara on January 10, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Oh I’m fascinated by this and I’m a little embarrassed to say this is the first I’ve ever heard of micro-greens, so I had to go do some Googling. I don’t have any real growing area at my townhouse but I’d love to be able to grow salad greens year round inside. This seems like it would be perfect for my situation.

I’d love to hear/read more details about what you’ve planted and how you use the greens as well.

Reply to Kara's comment

• Susy on January 11, 2017 at 10:06 am

You would get a lot of good use out of this book:

• Kara on January 16, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Oh thank you, Suzy! I just downloaded it to my Kindle. And I ordered both the spicy and the mild mix from Johnny’s. I’m excited!

to Kara's comment

4. Kirsten on January 17, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing. I had been hearing the term “micro-greens” for some time now, but assumed they were something special – they’re just little seedlings, yes? Interesting. I’ve been thinking of doing this for our chickens with some of my older lettuce seeds.
    Kirsten´s last post ..sunday snippets