Make Your Own: Baking Powder

February 6th, 2010

Baking powder and baking soda are both leavening agents used in baking. Some recipes call for baking powder, baking soda or a combination of both. When both are used in a recipe, the baking powder does most of the leavening and the baking soda is used to neutralize the acids and add tenderness. Baking powder does lose it’s potency after a while, so I mix up small batches whenever I need them.

I started mixing my own baking powder quite a while ago. I ran out once and didn’t want to run to the store. I knew you could mix it up at home, but had never done it. So I looked up a recipe on-line. It’s so quick and easy, I’ve been mixing it up fresh ever since. I also like homemade baking powder because I can make it aluminum free. Homemade baking powder is not double acting like most of what you buy in the store, so it’s important to bake the item right away. (Jennifer brings up a good question in the comments about cookies that call for chilling – I chill the dough, sometimes overnight and have never had issue with cookies not rising, so I guess baking right away isn’t necessary).

Homemade Baking Powder
1 teaspoon baking soda (I use aluminum free)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon corn starch *optional

Mix all ingredients in a small jar. If you are using right away, there is no need to add corn starch, *add if you’re planning on storing baking powder for future use.

It costs a little less than 18 cents for each batch you make following this recipe, if I didn’t add corn starch it would cost only 14 cents per batch. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t buy organic aluminum free baking powder for this price and it certainly wouldn’t be as fresh. I’ve always had great results with this homemade baking powder. So next time you’re in a pinch and need baking powder, mix some up at home. You’ll be surprised by how quick and easy it is.

Have you ever mixed up your own baking powder?

26 Comments to “Make Your Own: Baking Powder”
  1. Darcy on February 6, 2010 at 6:57 am

Can you explain what different baking procedures need to be done for a non double acting powder?

Reply to Darcy's comment

• Susy on February 6, 2010 at 9:58 am

None, I use it the same way as the kind you buy at the store. I have found that it works beautifully. From what I understand, double acting baking powder has additional chemicals in it so that you don’t have to bake right away. It reacts when it hits water and when it hits heat. You can mix up your batter and wait to bake. You cannot do this with single action baking powder because it starts reacting as soon as it hits moisture. There are no added chemicals to react again when it hits heat, so you have to bake while it’s still reacting to the moisture.

2. Christine on February 6, 2010 at 7:33 am

It’s funny how we forget how many things can be done at home. We started making pasta a few months ago, and it’s incredible how much better the quality is. A little tub of fresh pasta from the grocery store is five or six bucks, which is ridiculous when you realize it’s basically just flour with an egg and some oil. Starting from scratch is a wonderful way to save money.
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Some lessons learned =-.

Reply to Christine's comment

• Susy on February 6, 2010 at 10:00 am

Yes it is so much better, and so quick and easy to make. We enjoy homemade pasta several times a month.

3. Deb on February 6, 2010 at 8:01 am

I’ve never made my own baking powder…thanks so much for sharing this. We are in the process of trying to make more and more from scratch and this is one item that never even crossed my mind. So glad I stumbled across your blog~~I really enjoy reading it.

Reply to Deb's comment

4. Denise on February 6, 2010 at 10:15 am

Yes, I was mixing up my own until I went to the bulk food store and they no longer carried cream of tartar, but something called “Angel Cream”. I wasn’t so sure what this was, or if it was really good for you or anything, so I gave up on making my own for a while and bought an aluminum free baking powder from the co-op I order from. Also, I didn’t know baking soda can have aluminum in it too? Interesting….

Reply to Denise's comment

• Susy on February 6, 2010 at 10:22 am

The bulk food store where I buy my some of my spices carries aluminum free baking soda. I buy this for baking and I buy big bags of the regular stuff at Sam’s for cleaning.

5. stefaneener on February 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I’ve made it, but I’ve been baking so much that I just bought a large tub and have been working from that. I’ll probably go back to baking it once we renovate the kitchen and I can find all of my spices and powders again. . .

Cute label!
    .-= stefaneener´s last blog ..About the Eggs =-.

Reply to stefaneener's comment

6. Kendra @ A Sonoma Garden on February 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’ve heard you could make your own years ago, but I’ve never tried it. Once I run out of what we have, I’ll have to try making my own. It certainly is cheap!
    .-= Kendra @ A Sonoma Garden´s last blog ..Tips for going No-Shampoo – a 16 month update =-.

Reply to Kendra @ A Sonoma Garden's comment

7. Julia on February 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I love finding out about things like this. I would have never guessed how easy it was, but staple things often are quite simple. Taking back things like this, restoring knowledge, is so empowering. Thanks for the tip!
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Lemon Orange Fennel Ginger Jelly =-.

Reply to Julia's comment

8. Kalee on February 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for sharing this! Since I don’t tend to put baking off (once I mix it up, into the oven it goes!) this will be so helpful!

I also wanted to share that your blog (my husband and I have been back-reading like crazy) has really inspired me to try and find more natural ways to do things. Right now I’m actually doing a giveaway on my blog of a lotion bar that only has 4 natural ingredients, please check it out. The lady who makes them is amazing, she’s gotten into beekeeping!

I’ve got some baking to do today, so I think I am going to try this out!
    .-= Kalee´s last blog ..Etsy Finds =-.

Reply to Kalee's comment

• Susy on February 6, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Glad you’re enjoying the blog. I’ll head on over there and check out your reviews. I have finally some all-natural products that I really really love!

9. Diane on February 6, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I never knew I could make it at home. It is going down in my recipe book right now.
    Blessings
    Diane
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..My New Frugal Life =-.

Reply to Diane's comment

10. Sustainable Eats on February 8, 2010 at 2:23 am

Susy, look at your cute labels! I’m curious what software you use to do them. It probably won’t help me to know since I don’t have your flair for creating beautiful things but it would sure be nice if I do something 1 iota as cute as you do.
    .-= Sustainable Eats´s last blog ..Starting Seeds Indoors =-.

Reply to Sustainable Eats's comment

• Susy on February 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

I made them in Pages, which is the Mac equivalent to Publisher. I basically made a circle with a dotted line and added the words inside. I printed it on a big address label and cut it out.

11. Sustainable Eats on February 8, 2010 at 1:02 pm

You make it sound so easy – I bet your whole house is gorgeous! It’s fun to see how you see things through your photo lense and compose groups of photos together – you have such an eye for beauty.
    .-= Sustainable Eats´s last blog ..Starting Seeds Indoors =-.

Reply to Sustainable Eats's comment

• Susy on February 9, 2010 at 12:14 pm

AWW, thanks. I love being crafty and making my own things. I should start printing out some of my photos to hang up, I keep thinking about it but can never seem to narrow down the ones I want.

12. Marcia on February 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

No but now I will! My friends already think I`m a bit of a nut for making my own mayo so this will really impress them. I just love this site! Everyone here is talking about pasta, anyone have a recipe for wheat free homemade pasta?

Reply to Marcia's comment

13. Jennifer on March 2, 2010 at 3:44 am

What about recipes that call for you to chill the dough prior to baking?
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Deodorant Update =-.

Reply to Jennifer's comment

• Susy on March 2, 2010 at 10:34 am

I have used this in those and it worked fine, I have no problems using this baking powder in any recipe.

14. […] Your Own Posts from Chiot’s Run. Make Your Own: Brown Sugar Make Your Own: Baking Powder Make Your Own: Ghee Make Your Own: Butter Make Your Own: Preserved Lemons Make Your Own: Ketchup […]

Reply to A Few Resources for the Real Food Challenge « Not Dabbling In Normal's comment

15. Farzana on June 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Is this “double acting”??

Reply to Farzana's comment

• Susy on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

No it’s not double acting, single acting. I can’t tell a difference between it and the baking powder I used to use, even when I let my cookie dough rest in the freezer overnight.

16. Farzana on June 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

The corn free, gluten free baking powder I have has a funny metallic smell. It hasnt expired, in fact I just purchased it a month ago and it is sealed (zip lock). When I open up the little bag, I instantly smell that metallic sorda smell. Is this supposed to be the case?

Reply to Farzana's comment

• Susy on June 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm

It might still have aluminum in it, I’m guessing it shouldn’t smell that way at all. You can make this without the corn starch you just have to use it right away.