Quote of the Day: Proverb

October 3rd, 2010

“Bloom where you’re planted”

~ Proverb

This alyssum was a volunteer that grew up in a crack in our driveway. It’s the most beautiful alyssum, it’s bloomed prolifically all summer long and it looks much nicer than the ones I started from seed and planted in the flowerbeds. I must try to save some seed from this hardy little plant, I think it had great genes.

Are you ever amazed by the hardiness of some plants?

8 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Proverb”
  1. Sue on October 3, 2010 at 7:51 am

I had a sunflower sprout out of an old stump once–though it only grew 4 inches tall, it bloomed like it’s tall brothers in the garden. Plants are amazing, aren’t they? Somehow they always manage to adapt. We should all be so able………….

Reply to Sue's comment

2. Helen on October 3, 2010 at 7:54 am

I expect you will find it self-sown all around the place next year – you could dig them up and move them where you want
    Helen´s last post ..One bulb is never enough

Reply to Helen's comment

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: #Quote of the Day: Proverb http://goo.gl/fb/O1yql #bloomwhereyoureplanted […]

Reply to Tweets that mention Quote of the Day: Proverb | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

4. nic@nipitinthebud on October 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

I always marvel at plants that fight their way up through tarmac.
    I have a wooden mushroom log which in spite of my complete neglect, infestation of woodlice and total dehydration manages to produce one or two mushroom caps each year once it’s been resoaked in the waterbutt.
    I wish the perennial weeds at the allotment weren’t so hardy!
    nic@nipitinthebud´s last post ..making gluten-free lemon drizzle cake

Reply to nic@nipitinthebud's comment

5. kristin @ going country on October 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

Once, in Albany, I found a tomato plant growing in a crack in the sidewalk downtown. Like, right in the middle of concrete with no other plants within 50 yards. Maybe someone dropped part of a tomato from their sandwich while they were walking and a seed managed to get a hold in the dirt in the crack? I don’t know, but I just thought that was AMAZING.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..A Pleasant Surprise

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

6. Laura on October 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

i am constantly amazed at the things that pop up in my yard and refuse to die. I’ve got probably 20 or more poke plants i need to dig up. wish i had the energy!
    blessings
    ~*~
    Laura´s last post ..farmers market wednesday

Reply to Laura's comment

7. MAYBELLINE on October 4, 2010 at 12:00 am

Man oh man alyssum grows anywhere a weed can grow. Just try to NOT grow alyssum. It’s tough to get rid of.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Cinderella Pumpkins

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

8. melissa on October 5, 2010 at 12:47 am

I become more and more amazed by the hardiness of the cilantro that lives in my garden. It comes back every year stronger than ever.
    melissa´s last post ..veggie love