I Spy a Potager

August 14th, 2011

When Mr Chiots and I are out driving around, either locally or far and wide, I notice gardens – especially edible gardens or potagers. A few weeks ago we traveled to Indiana for a video project (more on that to come later) and I spotted this beautiful potager down the street from my friend’s home. It’s very well done, small, neat, well organized, bountiful, and very beautiful. Since my camera is always at my feet while we’re away from home, I snapped some photos to share with you.

Whoever cultivates this garden is doing a beautiful job. I’m sure it brings them much joy. A hearty thanks goes out to all people who cultivate their edible gardens out where people can see them as they drive by – it certainly bring enjoyment to many of us.

Do you look at gardens when you’re out and about? Have you ever stopped to take photos?

25 Comments to “I Spy a Potager”
  1. Sue on August 14, 2011 at 5:09 am

I’m always on the look-out for a great garden. If hubby is at the wheel, he doesn’t stop. He feels we’d be “bothering” the people. Me? I’ve never seen a gardener that isn’t more than happy to share their garden (and advice, and produce, and cuttings, and so on…….)
    : )
    Sue´s last post ..Garden Update August 7,2011 The Vegetable Garden

Reply to Sue's comment

2. Allison on August 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

Oh wow – beautiful. Hubby and I are always scooping out gardens where we are out and about. At a recent trip to an Amusement Park, my sisters were laughing at us because they said we were more interested in the flowers and landscaping, than the rides!
    Allison´s last post ..Dumb Comment of the Day

Reply to Allison's comment

3. tami on August 14, 2011 at 7:04 am

That is one beautiful garden. I too am a garden “peeper” myself. I love stopping and looking. DH feels it’s an invasion of privacy, particularly if it’s in their back yard. I can understand this in a way, but knowing how many years of hard work and effort went into gardens like that make me want to walk and talk to the person who created such bounty. I’d like to think if I was caught “peeping” they would feel flattered that I’d noticed.
    tami´s last post ..Reduced For Quick Sale

Reply to tami's comment

4. louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife on August 14, 2011 at 7:52 am

Not so much when we’re out driving but I know everyone in walking distance of my house who is growing veggies in their front garden. It’s fab to see how many people have at least a couple of tomato plants or a tray of lettuce growing.
    louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife´s last post ..Wild plum/cherry plum ketchup

Reply to louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife's comment

5. goatpod2 on August 14, 2011 at 7:56 am

I haven’t taken pictures of other people’s gardens. My M is up now.

Amy
    goatpod2´s last post ..M is for________

Reply to goatpod2's comment

6. kristin @ going country on August 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

I am SUCH a garden voyeur. Even though most people’s gardens make me a little self-conscious about how messy and disorganized our big, rambling garden is in contrast.

I wish there were vegetable garden tours around here. Alas, only flower gardens, which interest me not at all.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Better than Kraft

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

7. KimH on August 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

I love stopping to look at others gardens.. and I agree with Sue.. I’ve always found gardeners are always happy that you stopped & are willing to share their world with you..

• Susy on August 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yes, they are – most are very happy to give you tour of the garden. I’ve talked to many folks about their gardens and I always chat with folks that stop by and ask questions about the plants I grow.

8. Songbirdtiff on August 14, 2011 at 8:39 am

I love to spy gardens from the road but never stop. I’m too shy I guess. I do love garden chatting with friends and seeing what they do. There’s always something to learn!
    Songbirdtiff´s last post ..Making it Official…

Reply to Songbirdtiff's comment

9. tj on August 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

…Oh my, what a fantastic garden! Beautiful! :o)

…And I do that too, if I see someone else’s garden from the road and it looks like it is well thought out and well tended too then I always slow down or even stop (if I can) to take a longer look.

…Thank you for sharing this one!

…Enjoy your Sunday!

…Blessings :o)

Reply to tj's comment

10. Donna OShaughnessy on August 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

Thank you for a taking the time to photograph this garden. Soon my husband and I will be building our dream farm (as soon as this one sells) and this garden shall be my inspiration. What if I hadn’t found you ? What if you had not brought your camera? What is you were busy drinking a beverage while traveling and you never saw this piece of heaven ?

But you did

Reply to Donna OShaughnessy's comment

• Susy on August 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Glad you enjoyed it – I too love it and hope to use a few bits as inspiration in my garden!

11. Sincerely, Emily on August 14, 2011 at 11:30 am

Oh that is a lush and beautiful garden scene. I am constantly craning my neck (rubber necking) to get glimpses of other people gardens. I hope to glean something each time I see one, if not tips, then just the beauty of it. Emily
    Sincerely, Emily´s last post ..M is for…

Reply to Sincerely, Emily's comment

12. Lynn Mc. on August 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Wow! My dream garden.

Reply to Lynn Mc.'s comment

13. MAYBELLINE on August 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I look but rarely photograph.
    This is my kind of garden. Neat and tidy AND functional.
    Beautiful
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Bean Eater!

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

14. the inadvertent farmer on August 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm

All the time…in fact hubby now pulls over when he sees one first because he knows I’m going to make him anyway, lol! Lovely garden! Kim

Reply to the inadvertent farmer's comment

15. Becky on August 15, 2011 at 12:44 am

LOVE!! Beautiful.

Reply to Becky's comment

16. Joanna on August 15, 2011 at 5:38 am

I often stop to admire edible gardens and I have taken a few pictures round the city this summer where there are people growing things in unlikely places. I love people’s determination to grow food. Guerrilla Gardening is what I have heard it called. I also make a bee line for the kitchen garden when I visit stately homes as there is nearly always one tucked behind a courtyard somewhere. best wishes, enjoying the Alphabet in August! Joanna
    Joanna´s last post ..L is for Lames

Reply to Joanna's comment

17. M is for… « Zeb Bakes on August 15, 2011 at 5:47 am

[…] have a look at Chiot’s Run’s (the host of the Alphabet in August) lovely post on Potagers if you have a moment today. Share this:EmailFacebookTwitterStumbleUponLike this:LikeBe the first to […]

Reply to M is for… « Zeb Bakes's comment

18. Misk Cooks on August 15, 2011 at 8:01 am

Such a lovely post and splendid photos! When we were in France last summer, I noticed that all the allotment gardens there were so neat and well tended, some what like the garden that you’ve highlighted in this wonderful tribute to the Letter P. I must remember to take some photos when we’re in France in September because they’re so fantastic.
    Misk Cooks´s last post ..The Letter L is for Lemon Vinaigrette

Reply to Misk Cooks's comment

19. Donna B. on August 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm

What a great find! The garden is so lush! You know, I love the idea of finding other’s gardens and photographing them!
    There’s an idea swimming around when eventually I get my own lil’ garden blog corner of this internetworld that I’d have a feature where I’d find/ask local gardeners if I can showcase their gardens, be it flowers or veggies, for other’s to see!
    There is a house that I pass by often while walking my pup that has a great little enclosed “secret garden”, one of these days I’ll ask her if I can walk through it…

Reply to Donna B.'s comment

20. Candie on August 16, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love this! I am looking for ways to make my garden fit in with the rest of the yard and this is beautiful!
    Candie´s last post ..J, K, L,M……

Reply to Candie's comment

21. hazel on August 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

wonderful photos. Someone obviously loves that garden. I especially like the old post and rail fence.

Reply to hazel's comment

22. Karen on August 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. I wish i could see it up close and walk through the garden myself. It looks great. A lot of time is spent cultivating that garden. Love the ideas!

Reply to Karen's comment