Quote of the Day: Joan Dye Gussow

March 18th, 2012

Nature is a difficult co-worker: She won’t allow you to postpone things, and she is often ready for you when you aren’t ready for her.

Joan Dye Gussow from This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader

I was thinking about this quote earlier this week when I was carrying all of my seedlings up to the front porch to harden them off. Spring is a really busy time of year and it seems that everything needs to be ready at the same time.

This year spring kind of snuck up on me, I’m really not quite ready. Winter was not nearly long enough for me, there are still a lot of things not crossed off of my to-do list.

I don’t mind though, I appreciate the need to get out and spend every spare minute getting chores done around the garden.

What’s your busiest time in the garden?

7 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Joan Dye Gussow”
  1. Jodiana on March 18, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thank you for posting a pic of your onion babies! I have never planted onion seeds before and I kept looking at mine and thinking “what did I do wrong, why do the tops look all brown and funky!!” LOL

Reply to Jodiana's comment

• Susy on March 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yep they have a tendency to do that. Some people trim them off, but I like to leave them au natural.

2. KimH on March 18, 2012 at 11:45 am

I think late spring is probably my busiest time in my yard & garden. Im working like crazy to keep abreast of weeds, get stuff planted & up, watered if needed and still trying to do everything else needing done around the house & sneaking off with the guys on the motorcycles for a nice spring ride..

Haha.. love that shaddow pic.. its awesome!

3. Rick on March 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I know what you mean! I don’t know where the winter went. I have a million little projects to do and no time to do them and now it’s time to start planting!!!
    Rick´s last post ..Thursday Kitchen Cupboard – Hamburger Soup

Reply to Rick's comment

4. Maybelline on March 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I cannot pinpoint one time busier than any other. There’s always something going on.
    Maybelline´s last post ..What’s This?!

Reply to Maybelline's comment

5. Songbirdtiff on March 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Definitely my busiest time is the week I do most of my planting. I’m usually working around the rain, trying to get my plants and seeds in when it’s raining, but not too hard, and when it’s early but not early enough. Usually I just get everything ready a bit early and wake up one morning and decide to plant! I can’t explain it, there’s just a day that comes when it feels right. So that’s what I do.
    Songbirdtiff´s last post ..A Cat and Her Human

Reply to Songbirdtiff's comment

6. Dave on March 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

My onions just started sprouting, Suzy. This early spring has me on pins and needles though. I can’t believe we are this lucky. There’s a bone in my elbow telling me we just may get whacked here in Central New York.
    Dave´s last post ..Original Nestlé® Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookies