So We Bought This House….In Liberty, Maine

June 28th, 2012

If you’ve been reading here for a while you know Mr Chiots and I have been searching for a home in Maine. We put an offer on a house with 20 acres back in February but things didn’t work out. At the beginning of May, a blog reader (now a friend) who works at a land trust sent me the link to a nice property that was going to be coming on the market. Mr Chiots and I drove up to see if it might be the future Chiot’s Run. We spent the entire day there, looking at the house, the gardens, walking the miles and miles of trails that wind through the 147 acres of woods and wetlands. (correction, after closing we found out it’s 152 acres – BONUS)

There’s a house, a garage/workshop, a sauna, a couple nice edible gardening areas, the headwaters to a river, a huge wetland area and lots and lots of trees.

We had lunch and dinner with the current owners and got in our car that evening with a gentleman’s agreement to purchase the property. It’s been a long road trying to get all the paperwork finished up, but finally, this past Tuesday, as in the day before yesterday, we signed the papers, handed over a HUGE check and it’s ours. We’re not moving until late September, we have work scheduled in Ohio and they are building a house and won’t be able to move out until then. It ended up working out perfectly for all parties involved. More details about the gardens & property in the coming weeks.

How big is your garden in acres?

71 Comments to “So We Bought This House….In Liberty, Maine”
  1. Christy on June 28, 2012 at 5:13 am

wow, that is very exciting, congratulations
    Christy´s last post ..A Winter’s Day Gardening

Reply to Christy's comment

2. Liz J on June 28, 2012 at 5:31 am

Congratulations ~ it sounds wonderful and is definitely very exciting! This will open up whole new roads to your already wonderful blog…I’ll bet you have designs on that chicken coop already :)

Reply to Liz J's comment

3. Bettina on June 28, 2012 at 5:36 am

Congratulations!!! It is a wonderful property and I can’t wait to see more pictures once you have moved!!!!

Reply to Bettina's comment

4. Chris on June 28, 2012 at 5:46 am

That is such lovely news. Especially the old gentlemen’s agreement whereby everyone works to a schedule that works for them. Less stress that way and lovely to bond with people who are willing to see negotiations through. :)

September is not too far away – 3 months!!
    Chris´s last post ..Going up!

Reply to Chris's comment

5. Rhonda on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

So happy for you! This is absolutely wonderful!

Reply to Rhonda's comment

6. Victoria on June 28, 2012 at 8:07 am

Congrats! Sounds like you’re about to embark on a wonderful new adventure :)
    Victoria´s last post ..What I’m Reading: To Market, To Market

Reply to Victoria's comment

7. Stevie on June 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

A sauna???!!! Why wait for a house? Move in now! Congratulations! Stevie @ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com

Reply to Stevie's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

I know right!

8. Throwback Road on June 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

So exciting Susy!!! It looks gorgeous! Can Mr. Chiots hunt on the land? Congrats to you both!
    Throwback Road´s last post ..Garden Abundance

Reply to Throwback Road's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

Yes he can, though he’s still planning on coming back to Ohio to hunt with my dad.

9. Misti on June 28, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am jealous! That creek—oh it is beautiful as is the wetland. Hopefully things go well and we’ll be closing on our 1.14 acres tomorrow! It isn’t Maine, but it’ll work!
    Misti´s last post ..Rambling at Kleb Woods

Reply to Misti's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:14 am

Congrats on your new little piece of heaven. Can’t wait to see it!

10. K.B. on June 28, 2012 at 8:31 am

Congratulations – it’s looks like a fantastic place!
    K.B.´s last post ..Wordless Wednesday – April 11, 2012

Reply to K.B.'s comment

11. Songbirdtiff on June 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

Wow! How beautiful! And so many possibilities.
    Songbirdtiff´s last post ..Feeding the ducks

Reply to Songbirdtiff's comment

12. Donna B. on June 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

Aaaahh! How utterly perfect! That’s truly a dream home… I’m shocked at how much land is still available in areas of the US that aren’t already turned into shopping centers and malls. One day I’ll be able to have something like that to call my own. Some day.
    I unfortunately live on a tiny-ish property. Maybe 1/4th of an acre? Although my father-in-law lives on 75 acres in West Virginia… So envious. Hee hee! One day… one day.
    I simply cannot wait to read about your adventures in the new home!!! [How’s the sun situation?!]

Reply to Donna B.'s comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

South facing, lots of good sun!

13. Jenny on June 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

Congratulations on the new place. It looks great, lots of natural land with plenty of garden space too.

To describe my garden area in acres you’d have to use a decimal followed by a lot of zeros. I just have a balcony (partially lost to a bbq) and a couple shelves inside the window. And I just lost a good chunk of space because my bf got a new tv and the top is curved so I can’t keep any plants up there. My spider plant is now homeless. Until I get him (the boyfriend, not the spider plant) to build a new shelf above the tv, that is.

Reply to Jenny's comment

14. BeccaOH on June 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

Congrats! The property looks great. Love that you will have chickens.

This year my garden only amounts to a few pots of herbs and 5 potted tomatoes. It isn’t like I don’t have land for the garden and have worked it in the past, but I just don’t have the time right now.

Reply to BeccaOH's comment

15. daisy on June 28, 2012 at 9:34 am

Stunning! I know you will have many wonderful years on your dream property. Continued blessings…
    daisy´s last post ..One Simple Thing-It’s a Date!

Reply to daisy's comment

16. Bethany on June 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thats wonderful!!! Congratulations! Welcome to the Northeast!

Reply to Bethany's comment

17. julie on June 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Gorgeous ! Congrats to you both !! Were you looking for a property near/with water? What a great perk. Can’t wait to read about all of your moving adventures. — and as for my garden, at 36 square feet it’s about 1/3 of our back yard space and… 0.000826446281 acres. :)
    julie´s last post ..The Garden: Week 16 & 1/2. (aka the garlic harvest)

Reply to julie's comment

18. KimH on June 28, 2012 at 9:52 am

Oh thats just gorgeous…..and look at the room…..sigh. Now you got your own Maine Farm. ;-)

19. Mich on June 28, 2012 at 10:50 am

Your new home looks fab, I love how the barns are painted that deep red in the US.
    I am a very lucky lady I have 300 acres to call my own. :)

Reply to Mich's comment

20. Maybelline on June 28, 2012 at 11:00 am

Acres?! Don’t be ridiculous. My garden is simply my backyard.
    I would be overwhelmed with so much property; but you’re young and nimble. Good luck on becoming a land baroness.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Apricot Leather

Reply to Maybelline's comment

• Erin on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

You’d be surprised of how much of an acre a backyard can be! My friend’s little postage stamp yard is almost a quarter acre, even though it is wicked wicked small.
      Erin´s last post ..Here, let me tell you a story…

Reply to Erin's comment

21. Miranda on June 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

SO exciting and SO jealous. We still haven’t heard from the bank in regards to our little 17 acres with no gardens, a tiny creek, a scary big house, and not-near-as-nice out buildings. Ours needs a ton of work, so i’m glad it’s only 17 acres. You have no excuses now not to invite ALL of your readers to Maine for a retreat!!! ( i think that might actually be the best idea ever! ) I’ll bet you’ll have some skeeters there, though!
    Miranda´s last post ..Brain Dead

Reply to Miranda's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

Of course we’ll be inviting people. Hopefully in a few years we’ll have the top of the garage fixed up with ample space. Until then we’ll have plenty of bedrooms in the house for visitors! Stop by anytime!

22. risa on June 28, 2012 at 11:19 am

Good move. When we were younger, we had twelve acres. Now one acre is getting to be too much for us to handle. The gardens add up to about 1/4 acre, the rest is small pasture and coppice “woodland.”

But for you, you’re young enough that I want it “all” for you. LOVE the wetlands.

Reply to risa's comment

23. Sherri on June 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations :)
    Sherri´s last post ..Home

Reply to Sherri's comment

24. Lee on June 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

Congratulations! Wow, twenty acres! A river runs through it too? I want that house. :)

Reply to Lee's comment

• Deb on June 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

It’s 147 acres not 20.

Reply to Deb's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

We found out at closing it’s actually more like 152…bonus!

to Susy's comment

25. Jennifer Krieger on June 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

The pictures are wonderful. I googled Liberty and it looks equally wonderful. Good luck!
    Jenny
    Jennifer Krieger´s last post ..Censorship

Reply to Jennifer Krieger's comment

26. Denimflyz on June 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations on your new “freedom” home. I love the name of the community.
    Denimflyz´s last post ..Living deliberately – How to approach simplification by Carla Harbour from the November/December, 2005 issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal

Reply to Denimflyz's comment

27. Dawn Roberts on June 28, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Congrats!! You gonna bring “Gluey”, lol?? :)

Reply to Dawn Roberts's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

Don’t tempt us. We’re hoping to find a farm with great milk like yours.

28. tj on June 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

…I love it! The creek, the house, the garden spot, the trees – perfect! And I even love the name of the town too. :o)

…I know this has been a dream of yours and I’m so happy to see it come to life. It couldn’t of happened to a nicer couple – again, congratulations!

…There’s gonna be so much blog fodder in the future I can tell! Lookin’ forward to it!

…Enjoy your day!

…Blessings :o)

Reply to tj's comment

29. whit on June 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

So Awesome!!

I can see it now…at a little natural food store near me: Chiot’s Maple Syrup, maple butter, and maple sugar candy….ooh baby!

Actually, that leads me to wonder will you pack up the Chiot’s name and take it with you? :)

Amazing story–so happy everything worked so well for you all!
    whit´s last post ..Well, Have You?

Reply to whit's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

We’ve been discussing the moving of “Chiot’s Run” and whether it should move too or if something new would be better. So far most people think the name should move too. I’ll make sure I ask here on the blog, I’m sure all of you readers will have an opinion.

30. Anne-Marie on June 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Congratulations! It looks like a beautiful property (and that is a lovely area, not too far away from where we live).
    Not sure what our small urban garden measures in acres. :)
    Anne-Marie´s last post ..CSA Week 3

Reply to Anne-Marie's comment

31. Avrom Shalom on June 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Mazaltov/congratulations. The new homestead looks wonderful. Wishing you much happiness when you get settled into your new home. I adore your blog

Best regards
    Avrom

Reply to Avrom Shalom's comment

32. Canned Quilter on June 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Your Blog is listed on my sidebar and I read every post. I can’t wait to follow this journey with you on your new farm. What an exciting development in your lives.
    Canned Quilter´s last post ..Preventing Corn Ear Worms

Reply to Canned Quilter's comment

33. Rhonda on June 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I keep coming back to look at these photos. I’m so envious! You really can be totally self-sufficient with this property! :-)

Reply to Rhonda's comment

34. Kathi Cook on June 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Looks Great!!! We have a little less than an acre.Sounds liike you can take your time packing up and moving out which is ideal!

Reply to Kathi Cook's comment

35. Jaye on June 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Congratulations Susy and Mr. Chiots! I was wondering if you had found anything you liked! The property looks amazing, can’t wait to see it become “our” new home too :)

Reply to Jaye's comment

36. Chicago Mike on June 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm

That property looks MAGNIFICENT!

Its funny, kind of sad to see you leave the place you have been working on so diligently for so long, but the place in Maine?

WOW!

And do you mean the garden in my yard or the garden in my mind? :)
    Chicago Mike´s last post ..Sometimes Words Fail Me…Well Not This Time

Reply to Chicago Mike's comment

37. Brenda on June 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm

wow, the house looks amazing – and huge! I can’t wait to see more. Congratulations

Reply to Brenda's comment

38. Erin on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Oh my god, that is amazing!! Can I ask what price-range it was in (to the nearest 100,000, I mean, not anything anywhere near exact)? I’m still in the researching part, and still trying to figure out if I should hold out for the Perfect Place, or admit that it will never be in my price range and settle for something okay instead of perfect.
    Erin´s last post ..Here, let me tell you a story…

Reply to Erin's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:19 am

$299,000.000 was the final price. Not bad considering it’s only about 1/3 more than our tiny house on 3/4 acre here. Our biggest issue was dealing with the bank when purchasing such a large chunk of property. Be patient, you’ll find something perfect someday!

• Erin on June 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

Oh thank god, that is exactly what I was hoping you would say. Right now, 300K is the top of my price range. You have given me great hope!
        Erin´s last post ..Here, let me tell you a story…

to Erin's comment

39. dkswife on June 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Again congratulations. I would love enough land that I wouldn’t have to see other people. :) My veggie gardens in acres would be approximately 1/4 acre, and it needs to be more like an acre.

Reply to dkswife's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’m with you, I have about 1/4 of an acre and could definitely use about an acre for food.

40. jennifer fisk on June 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm

That property is beautiful. If I were looking to leave Mt. Desert Island, that area would be high on my list of places to consider. You will be close to Belfast which is a great big town/little city. You’ll have a Reny’s close by too which in Maine is considered to be a real plus.
    I have 12.5 acres but most of it is wooded. Yours having a lot cleared is gorgeous.

Reply to jennifer fisk's comment

41. June on June 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Congratulations on the new house! It looks lovely. We camped nearby last summer in Searsport. It was my first time in Maine – definitely a beautiful state to live in.

Once you’ve moved, if you ever feel like camping on the ocean, I recommend the Searsport Shores Ocean Campground. We used the walk-in-camping, but they seem to like those little campers that you have: http://searsportshores.com/2012/06/27/for-michele/

Reply to June's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thanks for the recommendation, we’ll definitely look into that.

42. Rick on June 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Wow Susy congratulations. It looks like a beautiful place! I’m really glad it worked out for you. I look forward to hearing more about your new farm!!
    Rick´s last post ..Pigs in a Blanket

Reply to Rick's comment

43. Tammey on June 28, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Ahhh…..A little piece of Heaven :)

Reply to Tammey's comment

44. Sierra N Hampl on June 29, 2012 at 7:46 am

Congratulations!

Reply to Sierra N Hampl's comment

45. Trish on June 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

Welcome downeast.. :)

Reply to Trish's comment

46. Lisa on June 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

Congrats! Welcome to Maine.

Reply to Lisa's comment

47. Melissa on June 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

So happy for you both! Congrats! It’s absolutely lovely. Can’t wait to see what you do with it, Suzy!
    Melissa´s last post ..Lest you think I’ve become a slacker…

Reply to Melissa's comment

48. Stone soup on June 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Oh my goodness congratulations and welcome to my neck of the woods! You will enjoy Belfast and it’s down to earth community. We will have to meet up for coffee at Chase’s Daily once you are settled. You and will Mr. Chiots will love discovering all the local delights! Belfast also has a fabulous farmers market!

Reply to Stone soup's comment

49. Christine on June 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm

It’s perfect!!! So excited for you!

Reply to Christine's comment

50. Candie on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm

that is fantastic! We are looking for our hobby farm so I understand how hard finding property can be! Congrats
    Candie´s last post ..Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets