Hello Sunshine

December 16th, 2014

With the shortest day of the year fast approaching, citrus season comes just in time to add a little sunshine do our days. Late last week I received a box of delicious organic citrus from G & S Groves in Texas. This week I’ll be ordering a box of Meyer lemons from Lemon Ladies.
grapefruit 1
Blood oranges will be ordered in a few months, along with boxes of lemons and limes as well. As local as I try to eat, I will never be without citrus in my fridge or pantry! Thankfully my small lemon tree is starting to produce quite nicely so I’ll need to order a little less this year.
box_of_lemons
My favorite citrus is grapefruit, with limes coming in a very close second and Mr Chiots loves oranges the most. This time of year I can never get enough of the tart zingy fruits, there’s just something about that flavor when the air is so cold outside my window. It really does bring a bit of sunshine into my day. I’ll be ordering another box shortly because I’m pretty sure my first box will be gone in a heartbeat!

What’s your favorite type of citrus?

8 Comments to “Hello Sunshine”
  1. KimH on December 16, 2014 at 5:21 am

My favorite citrus is hands down Texas Oranges… Yum! They have a flavor like no other.. I’ll be ordering a box soon myself.. Love love love them!
    I’ll have to check out your Lemon Ladies.. sounds good!

2. kristin @ going country on December 16, 2014 at 7:38 am

Grapefruit, though they are awfully high-maintenance. By the time I finish cutting up one for each member of my four-person family, I’m pretty over it.

The scent of them is almost the best part, though. It smells like health and the cure for winter depression.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Time To Sing!

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

3. Lemongrass on December 16, 2014 at 8:15 am

I love them all:-)

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

4. Nebraska Dave on December 16, 2014 at 9:58 am

Susy, Hmmmm, I probably don’t eat enough citrus fruit but if I had to make a choice it would be the orange. I can’t eat grapefruit. It gives me instant heartburn for what ever reason. Nothing else that I eat does that so I just eat other fruits and stay away from the grapefruit. Unfortunately store bought oranges are not very tasty oranges. Some time a shipment of oranges will be the juicy tasty kind but not very often. I never buy more than one at a time to check out the quality level of the fruit. If it’s a good one then I’ll go back and get a couple more. My fruit of choice is not too much citrus but apples, pears, and berries of all kinds.

Have a great citrus fruit day.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

5. Misti on December 16, 2014 at 10:11 am

There’s only been one grapefruit I’ve liked and it was a wild one in Florida. It was sweet, not bitter. Other than that, definitely ‘wild’ oranges are the best, especially if you find the non-sour ones! I loved finding wild citrus groves and trees on our hikes in FL.
    Misti´s last post ..Thanksgiving at the Lady Bird Wildflower Center

Reply to Misti's comment

6. Emma on December 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

For this native Californian it is definitely the Satsuma mandarin. The season is short and I’ve moved across country so they aren’t local for me anymore, but I hunt down a stash each year. They are heavenly.

Reply to Emma's comment

7. elizabeth on December 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm

My mom sends me organic meyer lemons and also limes from her trees in CA, but she loves grapefruit and doesn’t have a tree. Do you recommend the rio red grapefruit, I wonder which size box I should send her?

Reply to elizabeth's comment

8. mandie on January 20, 2015 at 9:01 am

I love grapefruit and limes! I’m very excited because my best friend bought me an orange tree when she was in Florida (definitely did not illegally cross state lines….like the tags say not to do) and I have two heavily perfumed flowers open right now!

Reply to mandie's comment